BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Perspective

This week has been a weird mix of emotions for me. On the one hand I am mind-blowingly excited in anticipating our court date next week. On the other hand, as I look at world events, particularly this tragic earthquake in Haiti, my heart is completely broken. I am struck with the self-centeredness that seems to predominate not only the American heart, but even more sadly, those hearts that claim to know the One who is love. And I include myself in that mix. How easy it is for me to go about my daily life, stop to watch the news with a "how sad" comment or thought and then go on my way, into my life, with no real lasting effect.

For obvious reasons in my own life, I have been struck in particular with the children that are affected by this horrible event - the many who were already orphans, and the many more, I am sure, who are now facing that situation for the very first time. My heart breaks for the many families, I am sure, who are in the process of adopting children from Haiti who are now in emotional upheaval not knowing if or how this will delay the already very lengthy process. I am praying for those children and those families!

On an encouraging note, but still along those lines, another adoptive family - one who is also adopting from Ethiopia through our same agency - posted a note this week telling us how a friend of theirs who is in the process of adopting from Haiti, was able to actually see their child because the Nightline crew went and found their little girl! (you can see the clip on the ABC News Nightline website, titled "The Haiti Miracle: "Tell her we love her'") And how now their Congressman is now involved, and they may be able to get an expedited visa. It just reminds me of how our God works all things together for our good and His glory!

As far as what is going on here, just more waiting ;o) On Monday night I was able to get together with two other women from our area whose families are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia as well, also with our agency. And one of those women invited a friend who has been home since August with her Ethiopian son. It was great! The conversation was wonderful, informative and encouraging . . . and that little boy just lit up all of our faces! It was great to finally meet some families in our area with whom we will, Lord willing, be able to fellowship and give our sons a chance to play with other children in the same situation as they are.

So, Thursday's the BIG day!!! Actually, as I mentioned before, the court hearing will take place while we sleep (or not!!) from Wednesday night into Thursday a.m. Our family coordinator said she will call us Thursday morning with the court results. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep this week, let alone Wednesday night!!!

Right now, I truly feel like I'm about to explode with excitement and anticipation! I told my kids that I know that God knows how very much we want to pass court the first time around and not have to wait any longer . . . but I am also quite aware that this may not be what He wants. And so I am praying for grace, for mercy, for peace. Not only that I can make it to Thursday morning without killing all of those around me ;o) but also that if we don't pass - if God DOES want us to wait longer - that I will be good with that. That, as we're reminded in the book of James, my Heavenly Father will give me the strength to "remain under"!

I know I've posted it on here before, but this is a verse that I've kept up over my desk for the last several months and has been a great challenge and encouragement. Simple, but difficult. But I have found, that it is a whole lot easier to wait when I am not looking at peoples' faces, waiting on human beings to get done what I think should've been done last week - but instead I am looking into my loving Heavenly Father's face, realizing that if I am waiting, I am truly waiting on Him because He is Sovereign in all things. That is comforting because I know He is Love, He is Faithful, He is Good, and He WILL do His best for His children!

"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him."
Psalm 62:5

2 comments:

chris said...

Sarah, I'm so convicted (again) after reading your thougs on how we are self-centered. Bob and I talk about this alot-considering we don't have children to even think about. Thanks for sharing. We will continue to pray for Wed./Thurs. Love you guys!!

Mama-Inski said...

I can't wait to hear about court!! Will check back in later! :D